Sunday, November 4, 2007

A novel solution to the SS crisis

Stephen Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You!) has a novel solution to the SS crisis.
I'm not going to win any awards for saying this, but the elderly are like rude party guests. They came early, they're always in the bathroom, and now they just won't leave. I say we do the same thing to them that I do with stragglers at my shin-digs. Put them to work cleaning the place up...Let's use 'em to shut down our porous Southern Border. One thing Old People have a knack for is keeping kids off their lawn...Plus they're suckers for heat.
As for the book on the whole, I never expected it to live up to the greatness of the show. Nevertheless, it's hit and miss. If you have a bit of time to kill in your local bookstore, chapters on old people, religion, and homosexuals are definitely the hits, in that order.

As for the misses, you quickly learn which parts you should skip: "Stephen Speaks for Me, A Chance for Average Americans to Agree With What I Think" and everything written in the margins. It really drove me nuts that every page had about 3 "parenthetical comments" in the margins (in addition to footnotes.) In general, these were the jokes that weren't funny enough to make the main text. After awhile I knew I should skip them but they were distracting.


No comments: