Saturday, November 10, 2007

Chicago Trip: Day 3

Today we had an ambitious day planned: The Art Institute of Chicago, Oak Park, and and Navy Pier.

Before heading over to the art museum, we checked out Millenium Park, home of the amazing Cloud Gate (or the "The Bean") which is fully deserving of two pictures.



The Art Institute of Chicago was my favorite place so far and I doubt that anything else will surpass it. The most famous piece there is probably American Gothic or The Old Guitarist. Both exceeded expectations.

I was most pleased that they had a large number of Monet's. I'm pretty confident in saying that no other artist consistently comes close to his level. Maybe Van Gogh but I prefer Monet. Okay, now for a list of highlights:

Favorite Artist I Didn't Know Before: Kawase Hasui
Random Favorite: Road Near by Twachtman
Most Underrated: Stay tuned...this one is going to get its own post
Best Piece By An American Artist: American Gothic or Winged Figure
Favorite Renoir: Young Woman Sewing
Favorite Monet: Sandvica, Norway
The Sexiest Painting I've Ever Seen: Woman at Her Toilette

The museum took up most of the day but, with an hour and a half of daylight remaining, we headed to Oak Park which contains the world's largest collection of buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright including his own home. They were pretty neat. Next time, I'd like to take a guided tour to make sure I see them all and to get the background info.


Lastly, we went to Navy Pier for a bit of touristy shopping. It was just what you would expect.

No comments: