Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Another puzzle?

There are far more children born every year with fetal alcohol syndrome than are born with autism or Down syndrome. Fetal alcohol damage is the leading cause of mental retardation, with an estimated forty thousand babies born with the syndrome annually. And yet, the condition receives far less attention and support than other disabilities.

I wonder why. (Kidding. I'm convinced that it's because it's perceived as a poor folks problem.)

Once again, the quote is from the excellent All God's Children by Rene Denfeld. I'm looking forward to reading the second half on my trip to Chicago today but I think it's safe to say that it's a great book. I admire and appreciate the author's ability to remain purely descriptive. The book is written as a series of interconnected vignettes--each street youth's story is well researched and fascinating. (If you were wondering about the context of the quote, one of the girls had FAS.)


No comments: