Friday, August 3, 2007

The problem with free blogs

I really like the (EDIT: now former) title of my blog ("Marginal Revelations") because of what it conveys. But it is a ripoff of Marginal Revolution which I have a great deal of respect for. I came up with about 15 or so alternative names this evening. Of course, they were all taken already. And nearly every one of them had only one or two posts! This is not surprising since they're free.

This wouldn't be a problem in the standard theoretical market. These people clearly do not value their blog names very highly so I should be able to buy them from them for cheap and we both would benefit. But this doesn't happen because there is a transaction cost which mainly consists of me figuring out how the heck I would go about doing that.

Sure enough, there are blog services out there that I could pay for (like typepad) and I'm sure I'd be able to find a name I liked. But they're too expensive so I really shouldn't complain. But I'd recommend to Blogger that they institute some sort of inactivity clause that takes blogs away from people who haven't used them after a year or so.

I think I might just change it to something dry but informative like jmlindo.blogspot.com (because "jlindo" and "jasonlindo" are already taken, of course.)

EDIT: And it's official. I've moved to jmlindo.blogspot.com. Obviously, you've figured this out if you're reading this.

No comments: