Thursday, August 30, 2007

3 Most Influential Blogs

To me, personally, in no particular order:

The Becker-Posner Blog
When I first started reading The Becker-Posner Blog, I was amazed by their insights. After a while, I realized that they are simply applying neoclassical economic theory time after time. But they wield it powerfully. If one had no previous knowledge of economics, this may be the best place to start learning. The posts are well thought out and tackle big issues. Sometimes the positions they take are somewhat predictable but I always take this as a good signal about my own economic insight. Think about it this way--if you're writing a paper, for example, it's probably not a bad idea to wonder "what would Becker and Posner think about this?"

Art de Vany
This one has had the biggest impact on my day to day life. Most of the posts deal with how to eat and exercise in a way consistent with the conditions under which humans evolved. For about nine months before I started reading, I had diet hopped--I had lost 20 lbs but stagnated for the previous few months. Then I started following Art's suggestions when eating at home--lots more vegetables and fruits and no more starches. Another 10 lbs fell off pretty quickly. The great thing is that it's not like "being on a diet" at all so I don't have much of a desire to stop. That said, I haven't implemented the advice on exercise and I don't hesitate to indulge every now and then.

Marginal Revolution
While this blog is great for daily entertainment and economic insights, it's best for its "life hacks." My favorites include:
  • The game to keep a museum exciting. In every room you visit you pick which piece you'd take if you were a burglar.
  • Stop reading that book if you're not into it! (Perhaps this is common sense but for many, myself included, it's hard to do. I think people tend to view reading books as an accomplishment which makes not finishing books seem like failure. Or perhaps people like to be able to definitively say they didn't like something. Neither of these is a good argument for continuing to read something you're not excited about.)
  • Don't try to eat healthy in restaurants. They specialize in unhealthy food. Make up for it by eating healthy at home.
EDIT: Gabriel weighs in with his three most influential blogs.

No comments: