Friday, October 19, 2007

In Transition

As you probably notice, I've decided to make this an anonymous blog. I enjoy the blog for what it is--a scrapbook for ideas and experiences. I've long worried that the informal nature of the blog might make me appear less serious as an economist. When the question why should good economists blog requires an answer, it's a signal that it's a risky venture.

In general, I'm a very cautious person. Further, when it comes time to get a job, I'd like potential job market committees to focus their attention on the body of work that I've put years of work into. And I think they would like that as well. That said, putting myself in their shoes, it would be tough to resist looking at an applicant's blog that turned up from a google search.

6 comments:

SL said...

I totally understand that!

Gabriel M said...

I wish, in retrospect, I had taken this route, but now that the Internet is full of my crappy little comments and post, I might as well control what shows up in the top 10 results.

But, back on topic, I don't like the new name of the blog. A caeteris paribus assumption is required only sometimes, less than most people think.

Jason said...

I don't *love* the new name either but it does the job. My criteria consisted of something econ related without having "econ" in the title.

Will said...

Shouldn't you be proud of what you've written here?

I wouldn't usually post anything on my blog I wouldn't send in as a letter to the editor so I'm not concerned if potential employers read it...

... the other part of me says, "screw 'em". Why would I want to be involved with people that would use the fact they have *more* information about a job candidate, due to the greater transparency of that candidate, against that candidate? Everyone has a point of view, why punish the ones that make it apparent?

Jason said...

I want to agree with you Will. And I also "wouldn't usually post anything on my blog I wouldn't send in as a letter to the editor" for the most part.

At the same time, I'm proud-er of the papers that I've written (and am writing.) Of course, this is to be expected since I've given them so much time and attention. And most people (eg, job market committees) should know this and weight it accordingly against a host of blog posts. But I don't wouldn't bet on that.

Jason said...

Also, more information shouldn't necessarily be rewarded.