Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Chair Table

Also known as "The Most Underappreciated Piece of Art at The Art Institute of Chicago."


Imagine the poor sap who brings this home enthusiastically seeking his wife's approval:
"Honey, I know you've been wanting a nice place for us to eat our meals together in a proper fashion."
"Yes," she responds eagerly while staring at the solitary chair in the corner.
"You'll never believe what I found! It's a chair and a table all in one! A chair table! You just fold it right here and it's a table. Fold it back and, voilĂ , it's a chair! Combined with the chair we already have, it'll be perfect!"
"Yes, dear, but where will you sit if I'm sitting in the old chair?"
"I'll be sitting in this chair, of course."
"Then where will we put our plates?"
"On the the table!"
"But the table is a chair. And you're sitting in it."
"Then I'll just fold it over, like so, and we have our table!"
"But, then the table is no longer a chair and...."
"I know. Blows your mind, doesn't it?"
"Yes, dear."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your view of the chair table but I think the most interesting it the Art Institute, think I would emjoy visiting there. Love Monet also, however Van Gough and Renior are also some of my favorites. Miss you, love you, Mom-Mom

Concerned McCitizen said...

I. Love. The. Chairtable.

Jason said...

How could you not?

Come to think of it, it was the most memorable thing from the trip. And that's no slight to all the other things we did and saw.