Monday, July 16, 2007

Why I'm starting a blog

First of all, I've been reluctant to start a blog for a while. Mainly because every few years I realize how naive I was a few years ago. A blog today is likely to cause Future Jason embarrassment. Despite this concern, there are a few reasons I've decided to start up.

Short-term reason: Jenise and I are going to London for a week and I want an easy way to chronicle our trip.

Long-term reason: Increasing productivity. At first sight, the idea of increasing productivity by blogging probably seems silly since it will take time away from other activities. My hope is that blogging will help me focus and keep track of my thoughts. I've always found writing to be somewhat painful but a great way to discover new ideas. I also picture the blog as a motivational tool--by committing to discuss certain things, I think I'll be more likely to do them. I'm (tentatively) committing myself to some commentary on economics papers and books I've read.

The beautiful thing is that the blog can be useful for these reasons even if it's completely private.

So, why should anyone else read? Well, if you're friend or family, you might be interested in what I've been up to lately. If you're someone else, I'm not sure--we'll have to see what direction this takes.

Disclaimer: This blog may very well live a very short life.

5 comments:

SL said...

I'm first commenter, I'm first commenter! Glad you started this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Darn, thought I would be first. Oh well, at least I beat your mother. That's a first. Glad you finally started a blog. Now you need to put some pictures of your trip. Have fun. Tell Jenise we said hi and to make sure she feeds you. Ha-ha! Later.

DeWanna said...

Hi Jason,

This is the first time I have participated in a blog.

I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip. I know you will love London as much as I did, it is a great place to visit!

I won't say anything mushy about how much we will miss you etc.....

Hey Jenise!!!! I'll miss you to.

MOM

http://www.geocities.com/dewanna@pacbell.net/

Kimberley said...

And I thought there would be a bunch of hazy conversation about whether Marginal Revelations was an oxymoron! Heres something interesting for your "bloggers".

Did you know? Cialdini asked his subjects to biography of Rasputin, the notorious monk who served as an adviser in the court of Czar Nicolas II, and to give their opinion of him. The biography depicted Rasputin as a mendacioius and manipulative villain. In half the cases Cialdini had adjusted Rasputin's birthday so that it matched that of the reader. Those subjects who shared a birthday with Rasputin were more likely to rate him positively -- as a strong and effective leader with many redeeming qualities.

Anyways...thought that was interesting. Julia is studying Disney's Anastasia, and we are comparing the animated version to the actual historical events that inspired the movie. And Anthony talked me into purchasing some video game for XBox 360 (that will make me dizzy just to watch the online demo).

All is great...you two have fun...and dont forget to bring me a small slice of England!

Kimberley said...

Michael Vick was indicted by a Federal Grand Jury. Ugh...